Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chevalier


QUERY: Where has all the chivalry gone? ( I do recognize that chevalier (horseman) and chivalry (non-existant in contemporary american society) do not mean the same thing - but go with me here...)



So i'm standing on the bus this morning on my way to work - downtown Chicago rush hour - not fun, but average. The stupid bus takes so long to arrive that I end up walking a few blocks north and boarding at the bus stop there in hopes of getting a seat, no such luck. Fortunately two stops in, right before we are going on the highway express, a mother and child get off the bus leaving two seats open right by me! Score! I try to inch by the mid-forties white male in suit to get my coveted seat, and say excuse me to the guy who is barely blocking my way (let me clarify that I was closer, and had been on the bus longer, and therefore more entitled to the golden glorious bus seat) seeing that my eyes were on the only remaining seat he looks at me, looks at the seat and slams himself into - then promptly goes to sleep. ( I don't believe he was actually asleep, i think he couldn't look me in the eye for the shame.)


Example 2: Men at work let me pour coffee and open doors for them...which would be fine if my work was waitressing - but it's not.

Opposite: In my acting class our instructor lugs a coffee maker, creamer, and cups from home (to make sure we can stay awake after a long day at work followed by a long night of acting.) I went to get coffee the other night, all I did was lift my cup, one of the fellows poured my coffee, the other the creamer, a different type of man. Interesting.


Query 2: Are artistic men more chivalrous than business men?
Query 3: Can business men be artistic?
Quandry 1: Why don't I have an artistic business man?
Take it Becki,
Jennifur

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

an artistic businessman...sounds like a perfect man...one you could marry for money and for love...i need one of those!